Saturday, January 24, 2009

Switching to Organics Part 1

I'm going to do a series of posts over the next few weeks about switching over to organic produce, natural meats, and other items that you can buy organically. This is something I have slowly been doing over the last year, and in the process have learned a few things that I wanted to share with you. These posts are for those who don't think they can afford them (If I can so can you!) and for those who already buy organically but want to trim their budget even more!

For this first post, I am going to start with some tips on buying organic produce because I think it's the easiest to switch over. My budget doesn't always allow for me to buy organics exclusively, so I will share which produce I buy that is not as well. My hope is that if you cannot afford to switch then maybe you can take away some knowledge about choosing the best non-organic for your family. I do think that with careful menu planning, smart shopping, and planning a bigger spring garden, I can eventually stop buying non-organics altogether! This is something that has become important to me and my husband as I learn more and more about nutrition and how it affects my family, in addition to being a good steward to what God blesses us with.

#1 - Buy frozen organics whenever possible. I buy corn, green beans, broccoli, strawberries, bell peppers for stir fries, and peas. If you have a Trader Joe's stop in and take a look at their prices on these items. They are very comparable to national brand prices and in a lot of cases, they are cheaper.

#2 - If you have an organic co-op in your area then you are blessed! Take advantage of it, if you can afford it! Daisy gets a box every week and I try not to covet it every time I hear about it LOL (not really..lol)

#3- Try and search out coupon deals on the internet for widely available organics. Most stores that I go to have Earthbound Farms Organics . I try and go to their site OFTEN to see if they are offering coupons and if they aren't then I email them and ask to get on their mailing list to receive future offers! Next time you are at your local store check and see if there are organics available jot down the name and do some price comparing!

#4- Buy only what you will eat in a few days to a week if possible. There's nothing worse than wasting good food, especially good organic food. We have yet to have something go bad on us that is organic though. When I would buy cheaper produce from another local store it must have been way far from fresh because we had to eat it up fast! Lately I have noticed I get more bang for my buck because its lasting longer, so you know its fresher!

#5- Check out your local farmer's markets for fresh produce. Don't be afraid to ask questions about pesticides and freshness. Most produce at a Farmer's Market are much better and cheaper than what you will get in your local store!


Next time, I will share some some of my must-haves when buying organic fruits and veggies and what to do when you can't.

4 comments:

  1. Great tips, Amber! Um, where's your header? or is it my computer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Header is there...are you using Firefox? I see it fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you use the ENTIRE veggie whenever possible. For example, I get fresh beets with the greens attached. Two meals. Roasted beets one night as a side dish and beet greens to throw into my soup. Organic potatoes cooked up as mashed potatoes. Left overs can top a shepherd's pie or thicken up a soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ITA Daisy! Great idea and wouldn't be too frugal to waste anything so reusing it is a very frugal thing.

    Also, I usually try and save any parts that are not used from my veggies in a ziploc in the freezer, then I will add that to my chicken stock.

    ReplyDelete

"Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do unto the glory of God" 1 Corinthians 10:31