Here are some of the dinners I alternate on Bean Night:
- Pinto Beans cooked w/a smoked turkey leg,rice, cornbread (we don't like pork so this is a great, cheap alternative)
- Puerto Rican Rice and beans , fried plantains
- Chili Beans (most of the time this is meatless), rice, cornbread
- Louisiana style Red Beans and Rice w/smoked turkey keilbasa, cornbread
- Black eyed peas w/ smoked turkey leg, rice, cornbread
I use dried beans for these recipes and soak them overnight. In the morning I just throw all of the ingredients into the crock pot and let them cook all day on low. Something I really want to try is lentils. I have a bag of them in my cabinet and just don't know what to do with them! If you have a good recipe or want to share one of your bean recipes leave me a comment or post about it and link me to it.
I also make a lot of cornbread and this is by far the best cornbread recipe I have made. I'm thinking of having a baking day soon and just making a few pans of this and freezing some cooked rice to have for Sunday dinners. That would save me having to cook at all that day at all besides our big breakfast before church!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil (we use coconut oil melted, if you want another oil just use the same amount)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a square 8x8 pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
Beans are a really inexpensive way to have a healthy dinner. Having a bean night has also helped me to allow more in my budget for more natural and organic meat. Saving money is my first priority to my family and we are thankful for whatever God puts on our plates! If its organic or not, I am thankful he has given me the ability to budget them in where ever I get a chance :)
Have a blessed Lords day!