Friday, January 16, 2009

"No-poo" or for some of my dear readers "Shampoo-less"

I recently gave up using Shampoo after finding out how to do it on this site.
This past Sunday was my last day of Shampoo, and so far, I haven't had any major issues. I *will* use Shampoo sometime or another (because I really like my hair to *feel* squeeky clean) but hope that my scalp's natural state can be returned somewhat after trying this. I think years and years of prolonged use of cheap shampoos have caused my scalp to produce much more oil than needing and thus causing me to wash my hair more....its a vicious cycle! Not to mention, there are ALOT of chemicals in some shampoos and I really don't want those on mine or my childrens hair or skin anymore!
So far so good after 5 days of no-poo so I thought I would share what I have been using/doing:

What you'll need:
  1. Apple Cider Vinegar
  2. 2 empty bottles (one that holds about 3 cups of water or less if you have shorter hair) I used empty shampoo bottles that are about 21 0z each. One I fill with vinegar and leave in the shower.
  3. Essential oils (optional) I use Tea tree and Lavender. They are both medicinal and help to clarify the hair/scalp. Add a few drops to the filled bottle of vinegar.
  4. Baking Soda
  5. Small container that has a lid to hold the baking soda

The first step is to COMB your hair through BEFORE you even get in the shower! I made the mistake of skipping this step and my hair was hard to comb out.
The next step is to make a solution of baking soda mixed with water (i use a small bottle for this as well) and wash with it as you would with regular shampoo....taking more attention with your scalp than your ends, and then rinse.
The next step is the vinegar rinse. I re-used two old shampoo bottles (saved them because I knew i would be doing this) and filled one bottle with 3 Tbsps of water to make a line to know where to fill my vinegar to. You are supposed to use 1 Tbsp of vinegar per cup of water. I use 3 to 3 ratio because I have lots of hair and its long. Anyways, enough vinegar solution to your empty bottle with the pre-measured line and pour all over your hair. I leave it in for a few minutes and then rinse.

The smell of vinegar is very faint and once your hair dries its gone! I'm enjoying the "clean" feeling my hair has and the extra oil in my hair seems to be diminishing daily. I did mix a little baking soda with baby shampoo 2 days this week just to tolerate the change a little but it wasn't that necessary :)

Leave me a comment if you are going "no-poo" as well..I'd love to hear your experiences!
I'll update in another week!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it is working. Maybe that is why I only need to shampoo a couple of times a week? Because I always have so my scalp hasn't started over-producing oils. I don't know. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?!?!? Seriously? You don't need to shampoo? I am completely fascinated. I'm going to check this concept out for sure.

    Found you through Menu Mondays and I'm glad I did...I'm going to go look around your site!

    ReplyDelete

"Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do unto the glory of God" 1 Corinthians 10:31