Monday, April 21, 2008

Lotion Making- Calendula Citrus Lotion

This lotion was extremely easy to make and made about 6 oz or so...

I first started with 1/4 cup of calendula infused olive oil (I added about 1/4 cup dried calendula leaves to about 1/2 cup of olive oil and kept in a dark jar in a cabinet for about 2 weeks) and to that I added 1/4 cup of apricot kernel oil.

I then measured out 2 teaspoons of beeswax granules..

You then add the beeswax to the oils and melt at 30 sec intervals in the microwave or over a double broiler.

Now you need 1/8 of a teaspoon of Borax..yes....borax

And then you need 1/4 cup of distilled water.

Add those two together..

And bring just to a boil..


Once your oils and wax are melted together and your water and borax and just at a boil you add the water mixture slowly to the oil mixture using a hand blender or whatever you have on hand ;-)

It should look well blended and a lotion-like consistency but still thin..

Once it cools some you add your essential oils....make sure to look up their usage info as some EO's are not good directly on skin for children, pregnant women, or nursing moms :-) I added Lemon and Orange because I LOVE the smell of citrus. I also added a little Tea Tree for it's medicinal properties and supposedly it prolongs the shelf-life of the lotion. (I am not that fond of the smell tho and will probably omit it with the next batch...we go through lotion fairly quickly here)

Now for a quick pic of my adorable helper who has been so good while mommy is engaged in her new found hobby :-D OK..back to the lotion..

Now one important thing is to make sure you have a funnel and a clean, sterilized container to put your lotion in...you can use anything from a mason jar to a bay food jar..I picked up this plastic bottle from the place I bought all of my supplies from..here
Here's my finished product..Calendula citrus lotion...It will thicken as it cools but will genrally be thinner than commercial lotions. You can use any type of oil...my next lotion will be made with coconut oil and grapeseed.


7 comments:

  1. Okay, so I'm thinking you should make me some and I'll buy it from you. ;-)

    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, how much are you selling for? Looks great! I am surprise with the addition of borax however. That did sound strange. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Amber! Great Pics. I'm going to tell the girls on the message board that you made SUCH an awesome blog about this! I LOVE pics. I'm such a visual learner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised it had borax. I just made a homemade ant killer that called for borax and powered sugar:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is so cool. I'm w/ Daisy, you make it and I'll buy it. LOL! I love the pic of your helper. He just gets cuter every time I see him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oohh..that's so neat. I wanna try your lotion.....? :D

    ReplyDelete

"Whatever you do, whether you eat or drink, do unto the glory of God" 1 Corinthians 10:31